Amazing Smoked Chicken Wings– the Secrets to making amazingly delicious smoked wings with step by step instructions. These will be a smashing success at any kind of get-together- including Labor Day.
6 LBS Chicken Wings
2 Tablespoon Olive oil
2 Tablespoons Chili Powder
2 Tablespoons Smoked Paprika
1 teaspoon Cumin
1 teaspoon Onion powder
1 teaspoon Garlic powder
2 teaspoons Kosher salt
3 teaspoons Fresh Ground Pepper
1 teaspoon Cayenne
1. Separate wings into drumettes and wings, if necessary. The first thing you want to do is prepare your wings and rub. We usually buy wings whole so we separate the wing, drumette, and tip by cutting them between the joints.
2. Pat wings dry.
3. Combine spices to form the rub.
4. Place wings in a container, add and mix rub over chicken. Mix the dry ingredients together in a bowl then pour the oil over the wings. Mix it around to coat all the wings. Next, pour some of your rub over the wings and mix it around. Keep adding and moving the wings around so they are equally coated with the rub.
5. Let wings rest for at least an hour.
6. Heat the smoker or grill to a temperature between 225-250 F. This particular recipe calls for pecan wood for the smoke. You can decide to use any kind of wood that you like but know your flavor profiles.
7. Place wings over indirect heat. You can use a grill with indirect heat, or a smoker to make these wings. You will need to get your cooker, whichever you’re going to use, to a temperature of 225-250 F. If using a grill, push all your coals to one side, or along the edges as you want your wings to cook on indirect heat, not directly over the coals.
8. Add wood for the smoke to coals.
9. Smoke for 2 to 2 1/2 hours, maintaining a constant smoke for at least 1 1/2 hours, the chicken should have an internal temperature of 160.
10. Place directly over coals to crisp, approximately 5 minutes each side.
11. Remove from heat and let rest for approximately 10 minutes.
12. Serve with your favorite sauce.