As the season changes from laid back summer fun to the busy fall holiday season hearty, healthy and easy are a winning combination.
- 1 tsp. olive oil
- 4 garlic, cloves sliced
- 2 Tbsp. onions, white or yellow, chopped
- 2 lbs. mussels, cleaned
- 1/2 lemon, juiced
- 1/2 tsp. basil, dried
- 1/2 tsp. thyme, dried
- 1/4 cup clam juice (optional)
- 2-14.5 oz. canned tomatoes, chopped
- 2 Tbsp. butter, unsalted
- To taste – salt & pepper (S&P)
- Heat large pot with olive oil and sliced garlic and onions.
- When aroma is released, add mussels.
- Add lemon juice, herbs and clam juice (optional), and gently toss.
- Add tomatoes. Cover and simmer over medium heat until mussels are steamed open, generally 3 to 6 minutes.
- Remove pot from heat. Discard unopened mussels.
- To finish mussels, add butter and swirl to make broth thicker.
- Optional: Serve with crusty bread for dipping in broth.
SNP Eating Heart Healthy: Mussels In Garlic Broth
Recipe From SNP Eating Heart Healthy Nutrition Program Created By Chef Kelly Armetta, Hyatt Regency Boston