Salmon Burgers are a healthy and easy treat for a romantic brunch on a late summer day.
A juicy, flavor-packed salmon burger stuffed with dill, onions, and horseradish, served with a sweet and creamy honey-dijon mayonnaise and avocado slices on toasted buns. It’s cooked with just one skillet, and finished in about 15 minutes.
1 1/4 pounds boneless skinless salmon fillets, cut into 1-inch cubes
1 small red onion
1/2 cup fresh dill fronds, finely chopped
2 tablespoons honey
1 tablespoon prepared horseradish, divided
Kosher salt and freshly ground black pepper
1/4 cup mayonnaise
2 tablespoons Dijon mustard
2 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil
4 toasted split rolls
4 leaves Butter lettuce
1 ripe Hass avocado, sliced
Using honey helps to bind the burgers together while adding a touch of sweetness that matches nicely with the browned flavors of the burgers. Filling the salmon with fresh dill, crunchy onions and horseradish adds tons of flavor.
1. Place half of salmon in a food processor and pulse until finely chopped, about 10 short pulses. Transfer to a large bowl and repeat with remaining salmon. Alternatively, chop salmon by hand and transfer to a large bowl. Finely mince half of the onion and add to salmon. Thinly slice remaining half onion and set aside.
2. Add half of the dill, 1 1/2 teaspoons of the honey, and half of the horseradish to the salmon. Season lightly with salt and pepper and knead with hands until homogenous. Form into 4 patties about 4 inches across and 1/3-inch thick. Season exteriors with salt and pepper and set aside.
3. Combine mayonnaise, dijon mustard, remaining honey, and remaining dill in a small bowl and stir until homogenous
4. Heat the oil in a 12-inch skillet over medium heat until shimmering. Add the patties and cook until browned, about 2 minutes. Flip and cook until the burgers are just barely cooked through and still slightly rare in the center, about 2 minutes longer. Transfer to a paper towel-lined tray and allow to rest for 2 minutes.
5. Divide lettuce and onion between the four bottom buns and place a salmon patty on top. Spoon honey mustard over them, then top with avocado and top bun. Serve immediately.